- 3tbsp flavourless oil, such as groundnut
- 1/2tsp mustard seeds
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 5cm (2in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 chilli powder (according to taste)
- 1/2 tsp each turmeric and ground coriander
- 4 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 200ml (7fl oz) coconut cream
- 200ml (7fl oz) coconut milk
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1tbsp palm sugar (or soft brown sugar)
- 600g (1lb 5oz) large raw tiger prawns, peeled
Heat the oil in a large saute pan or wok, then add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add the curry leaves. Fry for a minute to infuse the oil, then add the onions, ginger and garlic. Cook over a lowish heat for 5 minutes, then add the chilli powder, turmeric and coriander. Cook the spices for a minute or two.
Add the tomatoes, coconut cream and milk. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and palm sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the prawns just before serving, as they only take a few minutes to cook. Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs and serve.