By Rose Fooks
Our lemon and thyme tart is a delicious twist on the traditional lemon tart recipe you might have baked before. If you’re new to baking or something went wrong with your lemon and thyme tart, check out are troubleshooting answers below.
Why did my lemon tart curdle?
If using cream or dairy in a lemon tart if may curdle because of the acid in the lemon reacting with the fat in the cream.
How to make lemon tart filling?
The lemon tart filling is set by the egg, when the tart temperature reaches 70C the egg will coagulate and set. The butter will also set the tart, so if you are concerned you could chill it in the fridge to firm up.
How to store lemon tart?
You can store lemon tart in the fridge and it will keep for 3 days, although it’s best eaten on the day it’s made, otherwise the pastry may start to go a little soggy.
For the sweet pastry
- 130g lightly salted butter
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 4tbsp picked thyme leaves
- 1 egg, beaten
For the filling
- 100g butter, diced
- 100g golden caster sugar
- zest of 1 lemon, optional
- 75ml lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 5 egg yolks
- 150g raspberries
For the crystallised thyme
- 1 egg white
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- crème fraiche
You will also need
- 20 cm / 8” tart ring
- To make the crystallised thyme: beat the egg white with a little water and paint onto the springs of thyme, dip in the sugar and allow to dry for 24 hours on a cooling rack.
- To make the sweet pastry: beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the flour, lemon zest and thyme and mix until just combined, finally add the egg and mix until the dough is smooth, roll into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 mins.
- To make the filling: place the butter, sugar, lemon zest and juice in a bowl and melt over a over a bain-marie. Once the butter has melted remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks. Set aside while baking the pastry.
- Heat the over to 180C fan, Gas 3. Line the tart case and blind bake for 15 mins, remove the baking beans and use a small serrated knife trim off the edge of the pastry, return to the oven for 5-10 mins until golden. If there are any holes in the tart case brush over a little egg white and return to the oven for 2 mins.
- Reduce the oven temp to 130C fan, Gas 1/4. Arrange the raspberries in the case and pour over the filling, bake for 40 mins until the filling is set with a wobble. Cool and arrange the crystallised thyme on top.
Top Tip for making Lemon and thyme tart
For a zesty alternative swap the lemons for lime
No mask, no problem at the Oscars: Academy Award guests will not be required to wear face coverings on camera
Here are the rules
By Danielle Valente •
You'll never guess how Kate Winslet's daughter has hidden her connection to her mother
Kate Winslet's daughter has decided to take up acting but used this one clever way to hide their connection
By Rylee Johnston •
The Jury has officially delivered a verdict for the Derek Chauvin trial
The jury has officially come to a unanimous decision for Derek Chauvin's trial over the murder of George Floyd
By Rylee Johnston •