- 275g (91/2oz) unsalted butter
- 275g (91/2oz) golden caster sugar
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 275g (91/2oz) self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 50g (2oz) ground almonds
- finely grated zest 2 lemons
- For the cream cheese icing
- 125g (41/2oz) softened unsalted butter
- 350g (12oz) Philadelphia full-fat cream cheese
- 250g (9oz) icing sugar, sifted
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 3tbsp Amaretto
- 175g (6oz) almonds, toasted
- chopped strips of candied lemon peel
- 3 or 4 physalis fruits
Preheat oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Place the butter and caster sugar in an electric mixer and beat on high until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well.
Sift in the flour and baking powder, and fold in using a spatula. Then add the ground almonds and lemon zest and fold these in.
Divide the mixture between two deep 20cm (8in) sandwich tins, greased and base-lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool, then turn out on to a wire rack.
To make the icing, beat the butter until very soft, add the cream cheese and the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Finally, add the lemon zest and juice and beat until smooth.
When cold, cut each cake into 3 horizontally. Place a layer of sponge on a plate and spread with icing. Place another layer on this and sprinkle with 1tbsp Amaretto. Spread more icing and continue layering. Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides.
Decorate with almonds, candied lemon peel and physalis.