By Elisa Roche
This striking ginger treacle rye cocoa tart is very rich so one slice goes a long way.
Our ginger treacle rye cocoa tart is sure to put a smile on the face of any sweet-toothed guest you have over for dinner. The rye cocoa tart case makes a nice change from classic shortcrust pastry and helps balance the sweetness of the stem ginger and golden syrup. Rye bread has a good amount of bite and a subtle sweetness, which is why we’ve chosen it. This is an excellent recipe for using up leftover bread that’s a little stale as we blitz it to breadcrumbs. You could also try our bread and butter pudding or for something savoury, give this recipe for asparagus, mushroom and bacon Stratas a go.
- 3 balls stem ginger, finely chopped, the syrup drained and set aside
for the pastry:
- 110g unsalted butter, cubed
- 145g wholemeal rye flour
- 50g icing sugar
- 100g cocoa
- 1 egg
for the filling:
- 700g golden syrup
- 110g rye breadcrumbs
- 110g white breadcrumbs
- zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- ½tsp ground ginger
- ½tsp nutmeg
- 3 eggs
you will need:
- 20cm pastry tin, greased; baking beans or dry rice
- For the pastry, put the butter in a bowl with the rye flour and a pinch of sea salt flakes. Rub the butter and flour together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Sift in the icing sugar and cocoa. Add the egg and 40ml cold water, if needed, and mix until the dough comes together. Shape into a ball, flatten into a disc, wrap in clingfilm and rest in the fridge for 45 mins.
- Roll out the cooled pastry onto a floured surface and line the tin with it. Prick the base all over with a fork; chill for 30 mins.
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans or dry rice. Bake blind for 20 mins. Remove the beans and paper, and bake for 10 mins more.
- Mix the filling ingredients with half the ginger pieces. Reduce the oven temperature to 170C/Gas 3. Trim the pastry edges, add the treacle mix and bake for 1 hr or until the filling is golden.
- Scatter over the remaining ginger pieces, drizzle with leftover syrup and serve.
Top Tip for making Ginger treacle rye cocoa tart
Serve with ice cream for an indulgent dessert
Time for a purchase: Lady Gaga's makeup artist made a cosmetic storage collection that's practical and adorable
We have our eyes on the brush holders
By Danielle Valente •
Viola Davis' beauty routine is the perfect form of self-care
Viola Davis shared her beauty secrets and how she used it as a form of self-care
By Rylee Johnston •
An update on the release date of the Princess Diana BBC interview doc has been announced, but it's not what you're hoping for
Netflix is postponing its release
By Danielle Valente •