- 500g (1lb 2oz) farro spaghetti
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced very thinly
- pinch chilli flakes
- 250g (9oz) medium asparagus tips
- 25g (1oz) pine nuts, toasted
- grated zest 1 lemon and 2tbsp juice
- 50g (2oz) Pecorino cheese, finely grated
- 2tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the garlic and chilli flakes for just a few seconds. Add the asparagus and cook over a gentle heat for around 3 to 4 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the pine nuts.
Add the drained pasta to the pan and toss well, then add the lemon zest and juice and, if necessary, the reserved cooking liquid. Toss in the Pecorino and parsley, then serve.
Pecorino is a great full-flavoured hard cheese but you could also use Parmesan or Grana Padano