By Woman and Home published
Syllabub is a classic English dessert and makes the perfect end to any dinner party menu you might be planning thanks to it’s sweet but light texture. It’s also really easy to make so it’s a great one to prep ahead and have ready in the fridge for a no fuss option for pudding that won’t leave you stuck in the kitchen while all your guests are having fun without you!
With white wine and brandy, this is also a bit of a boozy dessert too. Marinating the ingredients overnight helps to really ramp up the flavour. Served with fresh raspberries to provide a bit of sharpness to go with all the sweet flavours, this dessert feels really special. Serve it up in individual glasses to really impress your guests.
This recipe makes enough syllabub to serve eight people, so it’s a great one to try if you’ve got lots of people coming over.
HOW TO MAKE ELIZABETH DAVID'S SYLLABUB
- Put the first four ingredients into a bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cover the bowl and leave to marinate overnight.
- Next day, strain the marinade liquid into a bowl and add a good grating of nutmeg. Pour in the cream and beat with a wire whisk until it just holds its shape. Do not overbeat or it will curdle and end up as a buttery mass. Divide the raspberries among 8 glasses and spoon the syllabub on top. Will keep for 24 hours in the fridge.
- 225ml (8fl oz) white wine
- 50ml (2fl oz) brandy
- pared rind and juice 2 lemons
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 x 568ml pot double cream
- 500g (1lb 2oz) raspberries
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Kate Hudson's new wallpaper is the stuff of dreams—it's time to redecorate!
Kate Hudson tagged wall covering company Arte in her latest Instagram post showing off her fabulous powder room
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
The best romantic movies to get your heart fluttering in 2022
This critic's picked the best romantic movies to get you through these dark winter nights
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pay tribute to Princess Diana with new Delaware company
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have named their new publishing company after one of the late royal's favorite songs
By Emma Dooney • Published