makes:8 to 10
- 500g (1lb 2oz) red split lentils
- 2tbsp oil
- 5cm (2in) piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp paprika
- 15-20 fresh curry leaves (available from ocado.com)
- handful coriander, finely chopped
- 4tbsp gram flour or plain flour
- 300g (10oz) peas
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 2tbsp natural yogurt
- handful mint, finely chopped
Rinse the lentils under cold water and set aside. Heat 1tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the ginger and garlic for 1 minute, then add the spices and curry leaves and fry for another minute. Add the lentils along with 1 litre (1¾pt) water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 25 minutes.
Stir in the coriander and flour then leave to cool. Shape into patties and put in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes. Heat the remaining oil in a pan and fry the patties in batches until browned.
Meanwhile, cook the peas, drain, then mash and stir in the lemon juice, yogurt and mint.