For a really special dinner party recipe that’s out of this world delicious, try this intricate squid and stuffed chorizo dish. Full of spicy flavour thanks to the chorizo, it’s a real winner when it comes to a main option.
- 4 medium squid tubes (reserve any tentacles for the stuffing) - watch our video on
- how to prepare squid
- 4 chorizo sausages, or other spicy sausages
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200ml dry white wine
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 150g sunblush tomatoes
- 660g large butter beans (the best ones are Spanish in a glass jar – from M&S, Waitrose, ocado.com and delis)
- 6tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- You will need
- cocktail sticks
Chop any squid tentacles. Skin the sausages then mix with the tentacles and divide the mixture between the squid tubes. Seal the ends with a cocktail stick.
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan (you will also need a lid), then brown the squid all over. Set aside. In the same pan, cook the onion for 5 minutes, add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the white wine and bubble for a few minutes. Add all the tomatoes, 150ml water and some seasoning. Bring to the boil, then return the squid to the same pan and leave to simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
Drain and rinse the butter beans. Take the squid out of the pan and gently stir in the beans and the parsley. Heat through and serve with the sliced squid.
This dish is perfect with a crunchy green salad