Cooking:1 hr 10 min
Nutrition per portion
This chicken soup recipe is an easy-to-make kitchen staple. With a bit of ginger an chilli flakes, it is a tasty and warming healthy chicken recipe that feeds the whole family. If you need a smaller portion, you can always freeze the rest! That way you have delicious chicken broth waiting for you whenever you want a quick and nutritious warm healthy dinner recipe that’s also a really low calorie recipe. For more cooking inspiration, have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 5 slices root ginger
- 1tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 1 star anise
- 6 free-range chicken thighs, skinless and on the bone
- 2 litres (3½pt) good-quality chicken stock
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 150g (5oz) pearl barley
- 2 handfuls frozen peas
- thyme and parsley, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrot, leek and celery and sweat over a low heat until softened but not coloured. Add the ginger, chilli and star anise; cook for a few minutes. Season the chicken and add with the stock. Bring to a gentle simmer, turn down the heat, cover and simmer gently for an hour, skimming any scum off the surface with a spoon.
Add the potato and pearl barley 25 minutes before the end of cooking and continue to cook, covered, for the remaining time. Add the peas and cook for another 3 minutes. Season, garnish and serve hot. This will keep in the fridge for 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.