This tasty chicken and shiitake mushroom noodle soup gets its flavours from East Asia, where the shiitake mushroom has been long praised for its health properties and it’s commonly used in stir fries and other Asian cuisine. Ginger, tamari, spring onions and lemon grass give a bit of pep to this healthy chicken recipe, with the shiitake mushroom providing earthy, smoky flavour. For a lighter version of this soup, you can just leave out the noodles and have it for supper.
The soup is brimming with tasty vegetables and spices, so it’s easy to replace the chicken with the ingredient of your choice. If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, this soup is delicious with chunks of tofu (added at the end of cooking the broth). For seafood variations, try prawns or chunks of white fish. For more foody inspiration, have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND SHIITAKE MUSHROOM SOUP
- Place the chicken and stock in a saucepan. Add the ginger, tamari, spring onions, red chilli and lemongrass, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Add the mushrooms, simmer gently for 5 minutes, then add the mangetout and rice noodles to the soup.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, then add the coriander, stir well and serve.
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, sliced
- 900ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2tbsp tamari
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, chopped
- 1 stick lemongrass, finely sliced
- 75g (3oz) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 75g (3oz) mangetout
- 100g (4oz) rice noodles, cooked (Amoy Straight-to-wok Rice Noodles are great)
- 3tbsp chopped fresh coriander
The Queen won't watch Meghan and Harry's Oprah interview
The show will air tonight in the US and tomorrow in the UK
By Sarah Finley •
Louise Redknapp says she was snubbed by her celebrity pals after divorcing Jamie
Louise Redknapp has thanked Jimmy Carr for his friendship after her other famous pals snubbed her
By Robyn Morris •
Kate Middleton rewears £5 Accessorize earrings for latest video appearance
Kate Middleton has reworn a bargain pair of earrings she first debuted last year
By Robyn Morris •