- 300g (10oz) shortcrust pastry
- 100g (4oz) ham, chopped
- 100g (4oz) mature Cheddar, coarsely grated
- 3tbsp double cream
- 1 medium hen’s egg, beaten
- 1tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 6 ducks’ (or very large hens’) eggs
- handful wild rocket, to serve
- olive oil and lime juice, to drizzle
- you will need
- six 10cm (4in) fluted tartlet tins
Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan oven, 400F, gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line the tins. Prick the bases and chill for 10 minutes. Line the tins with scrunched foil and bake blind for 5 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5 minutes more.
Mix together the ham, cheese, cream and hen’s egg, season, add the parsley and spoon around the edges of the tartlets (leaving a gap in the centre for the duck egg).
Carefully break a duck egg into the centre of each tartlet and bake for 20 minutes or until set. Serve warm with wild rocket drizzled with olive oil and lime juice (to cut through the richness of the quiche).