This tasty butternut squash recipe is a great light soup with a touch of summer. Carrots and coriander make this orange soup pop even brighter, and add a whole lot of important nutrients to your meal. The soup takes a while to make, but it’s worth the wait. Start making the soup by gently frying some onions, ginger and garlic for even more veggie goodness, add seasoning, carrots and butternut squash and cook until ready. Finish the soup by simply puréeing the soup until it’s smooth and thick, and serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt on top.
Looking for more cooking inspiration? We have plenty of soups from simple and warming veggie favourites to wow-factor starters, so you have plenty to choose from. Have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT, BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CORIANDER SOUP
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, ginger and garlic and sweat for 5 minutes, until soft but not coloured.
- Add the ground cumin and cook for a minute, then add the carrots, butternut squash and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to an enthusiastic simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Purée the soup in an electric blender until smooth, stir in the coriander and serve in warmed bowls with a spoonful of yogurt on top.
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 5cm (2in) piece root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 500g (1lb 2oz) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
- 1.5 litres (2.75pt) vegetable stock
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 6 heaped tsp Greek, soya or sheep’s yogurt
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks •
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks •
Friands with gooseberry and hazelnut
These friands with gooseberry and hazelnut make the most of the fruit's short season
By Samuel Goldsmith •
The Queen sent US President to bed, as he was 'knocking back vodka martinis' says former Chancellor
The Queen sent former US President to bed, says George Osborne—who received royal order from her majesty as dinner went on past her bedtime
By Aoife Hanna •
Kate Middleton's new curly up-do is the easy glam hairstyle you need to replicate this Christmas season
Kate Middleton's new curly ponytail look is the festive hairstyle you need in your life this year
By Caitlin Elliott •
Joanna Lumley slams The Crown as 'laughable' and 'rubbish'
Joanna Lumley has shared her strong thoughts on the popular royal series
By Emma Dooney •