HOW TO MAKE CANNON OF LAMB WITH VEGETABLES, SOBA NODDLES AND KIMCHI
- 1 x 250g cannon of lamb
- For the marinade:
- 1 x 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 4tbsp mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 100g soba (buckwheat) noodles
- 2 medium carrots, spiralized or finely grated
- 1 small courgette, spiralized or finely grated
- 1 x 215g jar prepared kimchi, to serve
Put the ginger, oil, garlic and mirin in a small bowl and mix together.
Put the lamb on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface, transfer to a medium shallow dish. Spoon over 30ml/2tbsp of the dressing, cover and marinate for 10 minutes in a cool place. Cover and reserve the remaining dressing.
Preheat a non-stick, ovenproof frying pan over medium heat until hot. Cook the lamb for 2-3 minutes on each side until brown.
Transfer to a preheated oven at Gas mark 4, 180°C and cook for 10 minutes turning occasionally until still pink in the middle (or 15-20 minutes if you prefer your lamb less pink). Remove and set aside to rest for 2-3 minutes. Alternatively, cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue for the same cooking time.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, drain and add the vegetables. Season, if required.
Arrange the noodles onto 2 warm plates. Slice the lamb and arrange on top of the noodles. Drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve immediately with the kimchi.