These Bloody Mary prawn cocktail nibbles always produce that wow factor and are a great snack to have already prepared and waiting for the arrival of guests. We have used 150ml of vodka for this recipe, but feel free to adjust the quantity according to your guests’ tastes. If you can’t find large, cooked, tail-on prawns, ones with the tail removed or ones that are slightly smaller or raw will work too. We have used large, shell-on prawns here, which we bought frozen and raw. To cook raw prawns, simply defrost if frozen then place into simmering water until bright pink in colour with opaque flesh. If you’re going to be serving these to children then don’t worry about the absence of vodka, they’re still delicious without alcohol – or you could even serve shots of vodka on the side for the grown-ups!
For the Bloody Mary dipping sauce
- 500ml good quality chilled tomato juice
- 150ml vodka
- Zest & juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 2-3tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ - 1tsp Tabasco
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- 1tsp horseradish sauce
- 1 stick celery
- 16 large, cooked tail-on prawns
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- A pinch of celery salt
- Combine the tomato juice, vodka, lemon zest and juice in a large jug with the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, paprika, horseradish and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir well and add more to taste if required. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Chop the celery stick into chunks. Skewer each prawn lengthways through the body then arrange on a serving platter.
- Pour the chilled Bloody Mary mix into a dipping bowl, then place on the dish with the prawns and the skewers. Garnish the Bloody Mary dipping sauce with a little sprinkle of ground black pepper and celery salt before serving. Recipe by Gaia Chanrai for Woman and Home.
Top Tip for making Bloody Mary Prawn Cocktail Dippers
Make the components of this recipe up to 2 days ahead of time and assemble at the last minute.
Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Prawn and Chorizo Jambalaya
The ideal comfort food, a jambalaya bursting with rich flavour and summer colors.
By Samuel Goldsmith Published
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom Published
Party Food Ideas
By Woman and Home Published
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe Published
King Charles's favourite teatime snack is cheap and easy - but has a suitably on-brand twist
The King's unusual teatime snack has been revealed...
By Laura Harman Published
Nigella Lawson's famous dinner parties are canceled for the most relatable reason
Nigella Lawson's dinner parties may well be the pinnacle of home dining but the beloved chef and writer says she's not doing them anymore
By Aoife Hanna Published
‘Table of legends’ including Jennifer Aniston and Courteney Cox gives fans the dinner party guestlist of dreams
Kristen Bell shared a snap of her summery outdoor feast, featuring a huge array of stars
By Jack Slater Published