These Bloody Mary prawn cocktail nibbles always produce that wow factor and are a great snack to have already prepared and waiting for the arrival of guests. We have used 150ml of vodka for this recipe, but feel free to adjust the quantity according to your guests’ tastes. If you can’t find large, cooked, tail-on prawns, ones with the tail removed or ones that are slightly smaller or raw will work too. We have used large, shell-on prawns here, which we bought frozen and raw. To cook raw prawns, simply defrost if frozen then place into simmering water until bright pink in colour with opaque flesh. If you’re going to be serving these to children then don’t worry about the absence of vodka, they’re still delicious without alcohol – or you could even serve shots of vodka on the side for the grown-ups!
For the Bloody Mary dipping sauce
- 500ml good quality chilled tomato juice
- 150ml vodka
- Zest & juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 2-3tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ - 1tsp Tabasco
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- 1tsp horseradish sauce
- 1 stick celery
- 16 large, cooked tail-on prawns
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- A pinch of celery salt
- Combine the tomato juice, vodka, lemon zest and juice in a large jug with the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, paprika, horseradish and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir well and add more to taste if required. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Chop the celery stick into chunks. Skewer each prawn lengthways through the body then arrange on a serving platter.
- Pour the chilled Bloody Mary mix into a dipping bowl, then place on the dish with the prawns and the skewers. Garnish the Bloody Mary dipping sauce with a little sprinkle of ground black pepper and celery salt before serving. Recipe by Gaia Chanrai for Woman and Home.
Top Tip for making Bloody Mary Prawn Cocktail Dippers
Make the components of this recipe up to 2 days ahead of time and assemble at the last minute.
The Queen sends sweet message to Prince Philip as he remains in hospital following infection
Her Majesty paid tribute to her husband...
By Georgia Farquharson •
Dress brand Finery London launches with Marks & Spencer - and their collection is perfect for spring
Dress brand Finery London has launched with Marks & Spencer so that you can shop their flattering line with ease
By Aleesha Badkar •
Claudia Winkleman reveals surprising secret to her happy marriage
The Strictly Come Dancing star has been married for twenty years...
By Georgia Farquharson •