Macaroni cheese is pretty high up in our list of ultimate comfort foods. Who can resist pasta smothered in a creamy, cheesy sauce and topped with crispy breadcrumbs? When you’re feeling extra naughty you might like our indulgent Lobster Mac and Cheese, or maybe Pulled Pork macaroni is more your style.
Either way we know how hard it can be hard to say no, especially when you’re trying to be good. Luckily, we have a solution.
This recipe for a healthy mac and cheese lets you indulge in a family favourite with very little guilt. At only 500 calories per serving you would be crazy not to give it a go! It looks just as good as the real, full fat version and although it might not taste as indulgent and cheesy as your favourite, it is still pretty delicious.
By making some clever substitutions, like using steamed cauliflower to bulk out the pasta and puréed butternut squash to make the sauce rich and creamy, macaroni cheese no longer needs to be banished until your treat day. This recipe is super comforting for those cold evenings. The use of skimmed milk and fat-free quark makes sure the mac and cheese still has the creamy texture we all know and love. The whole family will love this recipe and it is a great way to incorporate two vegetables into a dish that usually has none.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY MAC N CHEESE
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat, spray with Frylight, add crushed garlic to the pan and heat for a minute.
- Add the butternut squash purée to the pan, stirring to prevent it sticking. Add the fat-free quark to the pan, followed by the skimmed milk and stir together carefully.
- Next add half the Parmesan and mix until melted and Stir in the mustard, nutmeg and black pepper.
- Add the cornflour and water, stir until it thickens a little.
- Place the cooked macaroni and cauliflower into the pan and give it a good mix. Try to coat all of the pasta and cauliflower in the sauce.
- Top with the rest of the parmesan and all of the breadcrumbs and place under a hot grill for 8 minutes
- Dig in with zero guilt!
- 5 sprays of Frylight
- 2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
- 90g Cooked Macaroni
- 1 Cauliflower, chopped and steamed
- 150g Butternut Squash Purée
- 200g Fat Free Quark
- 125ml Skimmed Milk
- 40g Grated Parmesan
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Pinch of Nutmeg and black pepper
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Breadcrumbs
Dress brand Finery London launches with Marks & Spencer - and their collection is perfect for spring
Dress brand Finery London has launched with Marks & Spencer so that you can shop their flattering line with ease
By Aleesha Badkar •
Claudia Winkleman reveals surprising secret to her happy marriage
The Strictly Come Dancing star has been married for twenty years...
By Georgia Farquharson •
Study reveals which supermarket UK customers believe has the best Covid-19 safety measures
Would you agree?
By Amy Hunt •