By Jane Curran
Macaroni cheese is the ultimate comfort food and while we love the normal version, this adaptation with lobster makes it a grown up dish that makes a great main for any dinner party you might have coming up.
While lobster might seem a little pricey, it goes really far in this dish as four lobsters are used to make a dish that will serve up to 12 people – so it’s a cost effective way of cooking with lobster. You needn’t tell your guests that though!
With plenty of cheese and breadcrumbs sprinkled over the top to add an extra layer of crunch, you’ll want to make this dish again and again.
HOW TO MAKE LOBSTER MAC AND CHEESE
- 500g macaroni or casarecce pasta
- 1 litre milk
- 125g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- 300g Gruyere, grated
- 200g extra mature Cheddar, grated
- 1kg lobster meat (about 4 whole)
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
You will need:
- 2 medium-sized ovenproof gratin dishes
- Cook the macaroni in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and toss in olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the flour and cook for a few minutes. Heat the milk separately, then whisk in the milk and keep cooing over a lowish heat until thickened. Stir in the mustard and all the cheese, bar 5tbsp.
- Heat the oven to 190C, gas 5. Mix the sauce into the macaroni. Slice the lobster and stir in. Put into the gratin dishes and top with the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Bake for 35 minutes until piping hot, golden brown and bubbling.
Top Tip for making Lobster Mac And Cheese
You could make this the day before and reheat in the microwave.
Why the Jennifer Lopez/ Ben Affleck kiss is a 2000-era reboot we're happy to see
Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck were spotted showing some steamy PDA, confirming their reunion
By Rylee Johnston •
Holly Willoughby's M&S dress is one of the most gorgeous summer frocks we've seen on the high street
Holly Willoughby in summery florals never fails to impress
By Caitlin Elliott •
Princess Anne, Camilla and Zara Tindall's hats at Royal Ascot complement one another perfectly–and are very on-trend!
The royals arrived at the first day of Royal Ascot horse races and the family looked perfectly on trend as they seemingly co-ordinated their looks
By Laura Harman •