By Jules Mercer
Our beet salad with goat’s cheese is a lovely bright, light spring lunch! Look out for candy beetroot, with gorgeous stripy pink flesh and bright and golden yellow beetroot. If you can’t find the heritage ones, regular beetroot is absolutely perfect too (you can even buy it cooked and skip the boiling step).
How many calories in this beet salad?
This beet salad can be served as a starter or a main. As a starter it contains 368 cals and as a main 551. Beetroot is a fantastic natural source of folic acid, calcium and iron.
How to make beet salad?
Our beet salad is really easy to make, if you want to save even more time you could buy cooked beetroot.
How to cook beet salad?
If you want to cook your own beetroot it’s a simple case of boiling it with the skin on, once cooked you can easily rub off the skin, although watch out because that vibrant pink beetroot juice is a pesky stain to get out of clothes.
- 500g beetroot
- 2tbsp sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 100g goats cheese with ash
- 100g greens – rocket or mustard or beet leaves
For the dressing:
- 40ml olive oil
- 2tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 2tsp pomegranate molasses
For the praline:
- 160g caster sugar
- 100g blanched almonds
- Cook the beetroot in boiling water for 15-25 mins until tender. Remove and allow to drain, allow the beetroot to cool for a few mins until you can handle them. Rub the skins off, and slice the beetroot into 5 mm rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas 7. Toss the slices with a glug of olive oil and roast for 15-20 mins until slightly charred. Take out of the oven and toss through the vinegar. Set aside.
- Whilst the beetroot is cooking make the praline: Grease a clean baking sheet with a splash of oil. Toast the almonds for 5-8mins until golden. Whilst they are toasting, heat he sugar in a non-stick frying pan until it melts and turns to caramel (don’t stir it at this stage, shake the pan if it melts unevenly). Add the warm toasted almonds and swirl through the caramel to combine. Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and allow to cool and set.
- Place the leaves, goats cheese and beetroot on a platter and top with the dressing.
- Once the praline is completely cool, roughly chop and sprinkle over the salad.
Top Tip for making Beet salad with goat’s cheese
Serves 6 as a side salad or 4 as a starter. Praline can be made ahead but be sure to store securely in a plastic ziplock bag or similar or it will go sticky and soggy.
Everything we know about Frogmore Cottage in Windsor
Plenty has changed since the day Prince Harry and Meghan Markle got engaged...
By Amy Hunt •
Time for a purchase: Lady Gaga's makeup artist made a cosmetic storage collection that's practical and adorable
We have our eyes on the brush holders
By Danielle Valente •
Viola Davis' beauty routine is the perfect form of self-care
Viola Davis shared her beauty secrets and how she used it as a form of self-care
By Rylee Johnston •