By Jane Curran
Beef ramen is a comforting umami dish that's becoming more and more popular. Although originally from China, the Japanese have adopted ramen – considered an easy meal on the go in Japan. Beef ramen is a weekday dinner with a difference. Moving into the colder months, a bowl of this beef ramen will be the perfect solution to a rainy and cold day.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF RAMEN
- 500g sirloin steak
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 2tsp grated ginger
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1tsp Chinese 5-spice
- 1 litre beef bone broth or strong beef stock
- 50ml soy sauce
- 2tbsp rice vinegar
- 200g tenderstem broccoli, trimmed
- 4 nests ramen noodles or 200g soba noodles
- 200g carrots, thinly sliced into julienne strips
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
- 1tbsp furikake seasoning
- 3tbsp micro coriander
For the marinade
- 30ml soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½tsp sesame oil
- Put the sirloin steak into a dish or ziplock bag and add the soy sauce, garlic cloves and sesame oil. Cover tightly and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight depending on how much of the flavour you want of the marinade in the sirloin steak.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan and cook the steak for a few minutes each side. Set aside to rest. Add the ginger, chilli and 5-spice to the pan and stir for a few minutes. Add the bone broth, soy and rice vinegar. Leave to bubble while you blanch the broccoli in salted boiling water and cook the noodles according to the packaging instructions. Put the drained noodles into large deep bowls. Slice the steak into strips and add this together with the broccoli and carrots. Divide the hot broth between the bowls and top each with half an egg, some furikake and the herbs.
Cheese and bacon hush puppies
Once you’ve tried one, you’ll be back for more!
By Jessica Ransom •
Scallops with samphire and lemon
These delicious scallops with samphire and lemon make an impressive starter
By Elisa Roche •
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom •
How to watch the Biden-Harris inauguration from your sofa
The Biden-Harris office will be sworn in today, here’s how to make sure you don’t miss it...
By Laura Harman •
Tiger King's Joe Exotic misses out on Trump pardon
The Tiger King star will remain in prison, after failing to make President Trump's clemency list.
By Emma Dooney •
The golden rule Julia Roberts swears by for healthy skin (it's a must)
Julia Roberts skincare secret is an oldie, but a goodie – and one you should never skip
By Lucy Abbersteen •