By Jules Mercer
Flavoured with Chinese five spice, these Asian pork sausage rolls have an added zing of spice.
Is there anything more important for a picnic or buffet than a sausage roll? We think not. Our modern take on the classic includes Asian flavours and will keep you and your guests going back for more. They may only be small in size but they’re big on flavour – the kecap manis adds a sweetness and an aromatic flavour that goes brilliantly with pork. If you’re struggling to find it branded as kecap manis, a sweet soy sauce will work just as well. The sesame seeds sprinkled on top add a great final touch, we like to use a mix of white and black sesame seeds.
- Mix together the minced pork with the kecap manis, sesame oil, spring onions, five spice and chilli flakes, and season well.
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Roll out the pastry to 30x50cm. Cut lengthwise in half. Spread the meat down each length, and brush one side with egg. Fold over the opposite side of the pastry and use a fork to seal. Trim the edge. Brush with egg and sprinkle over the sesame seeds. Cut into 3cm-long rolls.
- Place the sausage rolls on a baking tray and bake for 30 mins. You may need to bake these in batches depending on how large your tray is. Allow them to cool slightly before serving.
- 400g minced pork
- 3tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced (including the green part)
- 1⁄4tsp Chinese five spice
- 1⁄2tsp dried chilli flakes
- 375g pack puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2tbsp sesame seeds
Top Tip for making Asian sausage rolls
The kecap manis in these sausage rolls is a sweet, aromatic soy sauce. You can use any sweet soy sauce.
Reese Witherspoon's book club is launching a fellowship to assist underrepresented women
Reese's Book Club launched a new writer's fellowship called LitUp to help underrepresented women pursue a career in writing
By Rylee Johnston •
Amazon shoppers love Black + Decker's 'exceptional' handheld vacuum—and it's on sale
Amazon shoppers can't get enough of Black + Decker's compact vacuum for cleaning up messes and fitting in those hard-to-reach spots
By Rylee Johnston •
Prince William visited his favorite football team for this special reason
Aston Villa is giving back, and the Duke of Cambridge heard all about it
By Danielle Valente •