Always one to turn heads with her outfits, Kate Middleton's most influential looks have been revealed thanks to new research. Honoring her country and one of its most iconic fashion houses, Kate is known to favor many different Alexander McQueen pieces, and her black Alexander McQueen coat dress worn to the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II has been crowned her most influential dress.
- Kate Middleton’s black Alexander McQueen coat dress has been revealed as her most influential look of 2022, with searches soaring 233% above average.
- Research has found the top 10 dresses Kate has worn this year, with other notable standouts including the floral blue Tory Burch worn on hers and William’s Caribbean tour.
- In other royal news, Prince Edward and Sophie Wessex revealed as guests of honour for iconic TV event in place of the late Queen.
Catherine, Princess of Wales is renowned for her style, but which of her many showstopping looks are we most obsessed with?
Fashion experts at Karen Millen (opens in new tab) analyzed Google Trends data from the last year to discover which of Kate Middleton’s dresses have generated the most buzz online.
Soaring 233% above the average for the search term “Kate Middleton dress,” Kate’s black Alexander McQueen coat dress is far and away the most influential of her looks this year. Worn with a veiled hat, stilettos, and pearl jewelry from the Queen’s collection, Catherine wore this sombre but stylish ensemble to the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II.
Kate is known to love Alexander McQueen, brightening up a rainy day at the rugby recently in a vivacious red coat from the fashion house.
To celebrate turning 40, three portraits were released with the Princess wearing three different Alexander McQueen gowns also.
Kate’s second most popular dress of 2022 was worn on the Belize visit of her and Prince William’s Caribbean tour in March.
The tour was taken in honor of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. The summer dress, officially called Painted Roses from American designer Tory Burch, features a floral pattern, with blue, red, and white detailing that reflects the Belize flag.
Kate’s third most influential dress of the year is her black Jenny Packham, which caused searches to spike 173% above average. The Princess of Wales wore this simple black dress on a walkaround tribute to the Queen around Windsor Castle back in September.
Kate paired the dress with pearl earrings, black heels, and black tights – sticking to her trademark understated but elegant style.
Coming in fourth was the stunning off-the-shoulder gown that took people’s breath away at the Top Gun: Maverick premiere in London this summer.
Designed by Roland Mouret, Kate styled the flattering black and white evening gown with black pumps, diamond-encrusted earrings, and an Alexander McQueen black box clutch.
Following closely behind, Kate’s fifth most popular dress is her Fuchsia pink Stella McCartney worn to the Platinum Jubilee Pageant (and which she was wearing during Prince Louis' spotlight-stealing moments of naughtiness).
For the joyous occasion, Kate’s custom dress featured a mid-length skirt, padded shoulders, and long puffy/bishop sleeves, which she paired with statement earrings.
A spokesperson for Karen Millen commented, “Ever since her introduction into the Royal family, Kate Middleton has made a vast impression on the fashion industry, well known for her timeless style and sophisticated outfits. These findings demonstrate Kate’s ability to inspire fashion choices up and down the country, with the British public rushing to take inspiration from her tasteful wardrobe."
“This research also highlights Kate’s enduring and admirable ability to discreetly use her elegant style to compliment the events she attends, yet not divert too much attention away from the main focus of the occasion.”
The top 10 looks in full:
- Black Alexander McQueen coat dress worn to Queen Elizabeth’s funeral
- Blue Tory Burch dress worn on the Belize visit of the Caribbean tour
- Black Jenny Packham dress worn on Windsor Castle walkaround tribute to the Queen
- Black with white detail Roland Mouret dress worn to the Top Gun film premiere in London
- Fuchsia pink Stella McCartney worn to the Platinum Jubilee Pageant
- Pink RIXO dress worn on the last day of the Caribbean tour
- Yellow Roksanda dress worn to the Wimbledon ladies final
- Blue Alexander McQueen dress worn to the Order of the Garter ceremony
- Emerald green The Vampire’s Wife ‘Falconetti’ dress, worn in the first official portrait of the former Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
- Kate’s 40th birthday official portraits; 3 different Alexander McQueen dresses
Jack Slater is not the Last Action Hero, but that's what comes up first when you Google him. Preferring a much more sedentary life, Jack gets his thrills by covering news, entertainment, celebrity, film and culture for woman&home, and other digital publications.
Having written for various print and online publications—ranging from national syndicates to niche magazines—Jack has written about nearly everything there is to write about, covering LGBTQ+ news, celebrity features, TV and film scoops, reviewing the latest theatre shows lighting up London’s West End and the most pressing of SEO based stories.
Kate Middleton’s bold blazer in Boston channels the spirit of the Earthshot Prize
Kate Middleton's bold blazer was glimpsed during her Boston trip and it's not the first time she's worn this eye-catching piece of outerwear...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Fashion trends 2023: Here's what fashion experts predict you'll be wearing next season
Want to get ahead of the game? These are the 21 fashion trends 2023 that style experts predict you'll be wearing next year
By Rivkie Baum • Published