Family warn of dog choking danger from Pets at Home chew

Father claims pet pug died on Christmas Eve due to dangerous dog chew

Puppy playing with chew toy
(Image credit: Andrew Barnhart / EyeEm / Getty Images)

A pet pug has reportedly choked to death on a Christmas gift, a dog chew that his owner says was recommended by staff at Pets at Home. 

In a heart-breaking post, owner Kieran Elsby reveals the traumatic event that took place on 24 December 2020 as his son watched him try to resuscitate the suffocating puppy, Peppa who he says choked on a dog toy. 

Devastatingly, the eldest son Noah reportedly asked his father if he could give back his Christmas presents in order to get Peppa back. The little boy also asked his Christmas elf if he could wake him up from this bad dream. 

Kieran Elsby's son with Peppa

(Image credit: Kieran Elsby)

The £7 Nylabone triple bone dog chew was selected by Noah Elsby, aged 6, who his father says was reassured by staff that this product would be safe for the pet pooch. 

Noah’s dad Kieran Elsby states; “ It was recommended by the in-store team. My son bought the chew for his dog earlier that day with his pocket money. He even asked the sales representative if it was safe.”

According to Elsby, when he approached Pets at Home about what happened, they suggested that he and his family should contact supplier Nylabone instead. The toy has since been removed from sale by Pets at Home pending an investigation.

Elsby argues that Pets at Home should take responsibility for their actions and states: “Pets at Home have been terrible since, saying we should contact the supplier Nylabone. Where is their help? The product we bought says it is safe, says it is suitable, yet the reviews on their website have plenty of reviews saying it has given people massive vet bills and is a choking hazard!”

Kieran Elsby's dog Peppa

(Image credit: Kieran Elsby)

The Pets At home website features a variety of reviews that range from glowing to abysmal. 

One of the reviews made two years ago states: “I want my money back. Such a waste. 7-month-old puppy shredded the blue one into small dangerously swallow-able pieces in 90 seconds. The little rubber nipples are a choking/digestion hazard!!” 

However, another review states: “Bought these for our lab puppy so she'd have lots to chew on, she loves them! Constantly chewing on them and they're a good diversion when she's chewing something she shouldn't be!” 

A Nylabone spokesperson has stated: “We are very saddened to learn about the tragic death of Peppa. As pet parents and dog lovers ourselves, we know pets are family and we share our sincere condolences to the Elsby family. After connecting with Mr. Elsby, we have learned that Peppa was unfortunately recommended a chew that was not appropriate for her. At Nylabone, we are committed to making the world’s best chew toys for dogs of every age, breed, shape, and size. We know that every dog is different, and so are their needs, which is why we make a wide variety of chewing solutions for every kind of dog and chewing strength. We encourage every pet parent and consultant to carefully choose every chew toy with the dog breed and size in mind.” 

A Pets At Home spokesperson has stated: “We are extremely sad to hear of the death of Peppa and our thoughts are with the family. This product is a worldwide brand which is sold by many retailers both on the high street and online. We are, as a matter of urgency, investigating the product in conjunction with the product’s manufacturer, and have removed the product from sale until our investigations have concluded."

Laura Harman

Laura is the Entertainment Editor for woman&home who primarily covers television, film, and celebrity news. Laura loves drinking and eating and can often be found trying to get reservations at London's trendiest restaurants. When she's not wining and dining, Laura can also be found travelling, baking, and hiking with her dog.