A gluten free sticky lemon cake recipe made with mashed potato! Trust us, it's delicious!
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 225g (8oz) ground almonds
- 2tsp gluten-free baking powder (we used Dr. Oetker Gluten Free Baking Powder)
- 250g (9oz) cold mashed potato
- finely grated zest 2 lemons and juice 1
- icing sugar, to dust
- juice 2 lemons and zest 1
- 5tbsp caster sugar
- 23cm (9in) round springform tin, buttered, and the base lined with baking parchment
Take your time when spooning over the syrup. This way, it will be gradually absorbed throughout the cake for a delicious, moist, citrussy cake.
Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, 350F, gas 4. To make the cake, whisk together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding 1tbsp ground almonds to prevent curdling between additions. Now fold in the baking powder and remaining ground almonds. Gently fold in the mashed potato, lemon zest and juice, then pour into the prepared tin and level the top. Place the tin on a baking sheet in the centre of the oven and cook for 35 to 45 minutes; the mix will still be slightly sticky.
Meanwhile, make the syrup: place the lemon juice and zest, and caster sugar in a small pan and simmer gently for 1 minute.
Remove the cake from the oven, prick the surface all over with a skewer and spoon over the hot syrup until it's all absorbed. Cool in the tin for 1 hour before turning out to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar to serve, perhaps with a dollop of crème fraîche.