A middle eastern inspired salad using a very underrated grain which makes a great alternative to a rice or pasta
- 350g (12oz) bulgur wheat
- 400ml (14fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 150g (5oz) dates, roughly chopped
- 75g (3oz) flaked almonds
- 75g (3oz) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 75g (3oz) pistachios, roughly chopped
- ½ pack fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp honey
- 100ml (3fl oz) pomegranate juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Mix up the dried fruit & nuts in this recipe and experiment with what you have in the cupboard!
Place bulgur in a bowl and pour over hot vegetable stock to a finger width about the bulgur. Cover with cling film and leave for 10 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Season well.
Pour the pomegranate juice into a small saucepan and place over a high heat until reduced by half. Then stir through the honey and oil.
In a large bowl mix the pomegranate, dates, almonds, walnuts, pistachios and parsley.
Fold the bulgur through the fruit & nut mix then serve drizzled with the dressing.