A healthy, nutritious vegetarian soup which can make you look and feel better - great for lunchboxes or the freezer
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 5cm (2in) piece root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 500g (1lb 2oz) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
- 1.5 litres (2.75pt) vegetable stock
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 6 heaped tsp Greek, soya or sheep’s yogurt
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, ginger and garlic and sweat for 5 minutes, until soft but not coloured.
Add the ground cumin and cook for a minute, then add the carrots, butternut squash and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to an enthusiastic simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
Purée the soup in an electric blender until smooth, stir in the coriander and serve in warmed bowls with a spoonful of yogurt on top.