Looking for a carrot cake recipe? This one is full of healthy nuts, fruit and vegetables and has a lovely lemon cream cheese frosting
- 325g (11oz) plain flour
- 125g (4½oz) wholemeal flour
- 1tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tbsp ground cinnamon
- 300g (10oz) unrefined caster sugar
- 300ml (½pt) light vegetable oil or other flavourless oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 100g (4oz) chopped walnuts
- 100g (4oz) desiccated coconut
- 300g (10oz) carrots, cooked then puréed
- 250g (9oz) tinned pineapple chunks, drained and puréed
- 250g (9oz) Philadelphia cream cheese
- 200g (7oz) unrefined icing sugar, sifted
- 1tsp pure vanilla extract juice ½ lemon
You will need:
- Two 20cm (8in) deep sandwich tins, lightly oiled and the bases lined with baking parchment
It'll keep well in an airtight tin so why not whip one up on a Sunday evening to see you through the week? What's better for getting through the midweek slump than a nice piece of homemade cake?
Preheat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Sift the dry ingredients then sugar into a bowl. Add the oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat, then fold in the nuts, coconut, carrots and pineapple. Bake for 45 mins or until lightly browned and a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 3 hours in the tin.
For the frosting, mix everything together and, using a palette knife, spread over one of the cakes before topping with the second one.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up