For a classic recipe to end your dinner party on, you just can't go wrong with creme brulee.
HOW TO MAKE VANILLA CREME BRULEE
- 250ml double cream
- 75ml full-fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar, plus 3 to 4tbsp for the topping
- 2tsp vanilla essence
for the puff pasty sticks
- 100g puff pastry
- little beaten egg
- 2tbsp blanched almonds, finely chopped
- icing sugar, sifted
- Heat the oven to 140C, 120C fan oven, 275F, gas 1.
- Put the cream, milk and vanilla pod in a saucepan and heat to boiling point. Cover and leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Whisk the egg yolks and 50g (2oz) sugar together until pale and thick, add the vanilla essence and pour the boiling cream on to the mixture; stir well, then pour into four ramekins.
- Cook in a water bath in the oven until just set (about 20 minutes). Leave to cool.
- Sprinkle with a thin layer of sugar and caramelise with a blow torch or under a very hot grill. Repeat several times until you have the desired degree of golden brown topping. Leave to cool; serve within 2 hours.
- To make the puff pastry sticks (sacristains), heat the oven to 190 C, 170 C fan oven, 375 F, gas 5.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thickness, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with finely chopped almonds.
- Using a long, sharp knife, cut strips of pastry 12mm (½in) wide and 10cm (4in) long. Twist five times and place on a baking sheet. Cook until golden and crisp, dust with icing sugar and serve warm with the crème brulée.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Working from home tips: simple ways to make sure you're still productive
These simple working from home tips are easy to implement and should make your daily tasks a lot easier to achieve
By Amy Hunt • Published
February new moon 2022—new moon in Aquarius says it's time to look at the bigger picture
February new moon 2022 in Aquarius says it’s time to start working on the vision board—here's what that means for your star sign
By Maria Sofia Marmanides • Published
The Gilded Age—everything we know about HBO’s new drama from Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes
HBO’s The Gilded Age boasts an A-list cast including Cynthia Nixon, Christine Baranski, and Meryl Streep’s daughter, Louisa Jacobson
By Jack Slater • Published