By Jules Mercer
Our sticky tamarind curry is a real crowd pleaser. It’s worth the time it takes to cook as the tender meat melts in the mouth. This tamarind curry is easy to prepare ahead and can also be frozen.
Make up a bigger batch and then freeze separate portions so you can heat up some tamarind curry in a hurry!
We’ve used beef chuck which comes from the shoulder. It’s relatively cheap to buy and can be quite tough as it is from the part of the animal that has worked the hardest during its life. Beef chuck benefits from a long, gentle cook and is full of flavour. It’s perfect for casseroles, stews and this tamarind curry!
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the beef in batches to brown and seal, remove and set aside. In the same pot, add the onions, ginger, garlic and chilli and cook for 5 mins.
- Return all the beef to the pan and add the stock, soy sauce, brown sugar and tamarind paste. Simmer for 2 hrs, covered, until the meat is tender.
- About 40 mins before the stew is cooked, remove the lid and turn up the heat up to allow the stew to reduce.
- Meanwhile, blanch the sugar snaps and mangetout for 2 mins in boiling water. Drain, and stir into the stew with the baby leaf spinach. Cook for a further 5 mins. Top with coriander and sesame seeds, and serve with rice.
- 1tbsp oil
- 1.5kg beef chuck, cut into 3cm cubes
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 green chilli, sliced, plus extra to serve
- 500ml beef stock
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- 45g brown sugar
- 2½tbsp tamarind paste
- 200g sugar snaps and mangetout
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- handful coriander leaves, to serve
- black sesame seeds, to serve
Cheese and bacon hush puppies
Once you’ve tried one, you’ll be back for more!
By Jessica Ransom •
Scallops with samphire and lemon
These delicious scallops with samphire and lemon make an impressive starter
By Elisa Roche •
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom •
Is this the best foundation in the world? 160,000 5* reviews are hard to argue with
Il Makiage foundation is blowing the competition out of the water. Here's why...
By Fiona Embleton •
'What if that woman CAN'T have children' Michelle Williams hits back at one fans thoughtless comment
Michelle Williams gave a fan a much-needed awakening after he told her she ‘need some children’
By Kudzai Chibaduki •
Dubai is facing a surge in Covid-19 cases following celebrity holidays
Dubai's Covid-19 surge comes after several celebrities received backlash from traveling during the pandemic
By Naomi Jamieson •