By Woman and Home published
HOW TO MAKE SLOW ROAST PORK BELLY WITH PLUM AND PORT CHUTNEY
- 1.2kg to 1.3kg (2lb 11oz to 3lb) piece English, free-range belly pork, bones in and scored
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 12 sage leaves, roughly chopped
for the chutney:
- large knob butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 large ripe plums, halved, stone removed and quartered
- 1 eating apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 200ml (7fl oz) port or robust red wine
- 3tbsp soft brown sugar
- 3tbsp red wine vinegar
- Heat the oven to 130 C, 110 C fan, 250 F, gas ½. Place the pork skin side down on a board and cut long incisions, around 1cm (½in) deep, between the bones. Push in the garlic and sage. Put 2 sheets of foil into a roasting tin and lay the pork on top, skin side up. Scrunch the foil around the edges of the pork - this prevents the edges going hard. Dry the skin, then sprinkle over a little salt and place in the oven for 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the chutney - you can heat it up again just before serving. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, cook the onion on a low heat until soft then add the plums and apple. Stir well, season then add the port and bring to the boil. Let it bubble for a few minutes, then add the sugar and vinegar. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes until cooked through. Set aside until later.
- To finish off the pork, pour off the juices from the roasting tin and turn the oven up to 220 C, 200 C fan, 425 F, gas 7. Return the meat to the oven and roast until the skin crackles - about 20 minutes. Serve with the chutney, steamed curly kale and spuds.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Kate Hudson's new wallpaper is the stuff of dreams—it's time to redecorate!
Kate Hudson tagged wall covering company Arte in her latest Instagram post showing off her fabulous powder room
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
The best romantic movies to get your heart fluttering in 2022
This critic's picked the best romantic movies to get you through these dark winter nights
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pay tribute to Princess Diana with new Delaware company
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have named their new publishing company after one of the late royal's favorite songs
By Emma Dooney • Published