It’s a surprising combination, which works brilliantly. The Sri Lankans love a cashew curry, and they love their native pineapples, so we’ve combined the two! This is also vegan and very simple to make. Serve this simple pineapple curry up with some fluffy rice for a meal that the whole family will love. The fruity chunks of pineapple add the perfect amount of acidity against the mild coconut sauce. Curry leaves are essential to getting the flavour of this cashew curry just right, so they’re worth hunting down. You can even get fresh curry leaves on places like Amazon now if you can’t find them in the supermarket. When looking for them in a shop, head to the spices aisle, or alternatively try an Indian or Sri Lankan grocery shop, if you have one near to you.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan and cook the onion and lemongrass over a low heat for 15 mins. Add the spices with sea salt and black pepper and cook, stirring, over a medium heat for a few minutes to cook them out.
- Now add the coconut milk and cream with the curry leaves and simmer for 10 mins. Add the pineapple and cashew nuts, bring to the boil then simmer for 15 mins. Serve with rice.
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bashed and finely sliced
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1tbsp black mustard seeds
- 2tsp turmeric
- 2tsp fennel seeds
- 1 x 400g can coconut milk
- 1 x 160g can coconut cream
- small handful fresh or dried curry leaves
- 1 large pineapple, skin removed, cored and cut into medium chunks
- 100g unsalted cashew nuts, soaked in cold water for 30 mins, then drained
Top Tip for making Pineapple Curry with Cashews
You can make the base sauce and leave it in the fridge for up to 3 days before adding the curry leaves, pineapple and nuts. It will also keep overnight in the fridge fully prepared. The amount of chilli is up to you but this shouldn’t be fiery, just with a little hint of heat. If you like, you could also add some spinach right at the end.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough
The Queen's heartbreaking joke to national treasure Sir David Attenborough shows despite gloomy topics—she's always got a sense of humor
By Aoife Hanna • Published
11 inspirational poetry quotes that will get you thinking
These inspirational poetry quotes from the likes of William Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and Maya Angelou pack a powerful punch
By Arielle Tchiprout • Published
The strange reason this expert wants you to continue wearing masks
Masks can help save you from infection and disease, but can wearing a face mask also help you get a date? This study suggests so...
By Laura Harman • Published