This lovely spring dessert recipe is full of sweet and sharp flavours and makes for the perfect dinner party dessert.
HOW TO MAKE MERINGUE ROULADE WITH ORANGE AND PASSION FRUIT
- 1tsp cornflour
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 large free-range egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 300ml double cream
- 2tbsp Grand Marnier
- 5tbsp orange curd, or passion fruit curd
- 4 passion fruit
- icing sugar, to dust
You will need:
- 31cm x 21cm Swiss roll tin, lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, gas 6. Mix the cornflour and vinegar in a separate bowl until combined, then set aside. Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until stiff, then gradually beat in the sugar, ½ tbsp at time, until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Lightly whisk the vinegar mixture into the meringue mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 5 minutes then lower the temperature to 170C, 150C fan, gas 3 and bake for a further 20 minutes, until the top is slightly golden and crisp. Meanwhile, lay a large piece of greaseproof paper flat on the worktop and sprinkle lightly with icing sugar. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn the meringue out onto the paper. Peel off the baking parchment and leave to cool completely.
- To make the filling, whip the double cream with the Grand Marnier until just stiff.
- Spread the cream over the surface of the meringue then drizzle over the curd and the passion fruit. Roll up the roulade from one of the shorter sides to the other, using the greaseproof paper to help you. Leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve, dust with icing sugar.
Anna Sbuttoni was the Digital Food Editor for Woman & Home and GoodTo.com for 3 years, during which time she won Best Original Feature Idea (Digital) at the BSME Awards for a blogger challenge called 'How To Feed Your Family For £20 A Week'.
Anna's work for womanandhome.com ranges from seasonal recipes perfect for celebrations like Christmas or Easter, to practical suggestions for everyday life, like 17 essential things everyone should have in their freezer.
She went on to become the Digital Director at The Sunday Times Style and is now the Deputy audience editor at The Times and The Sunday Times.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Snow Moon—name's origins and the planet whose shadow period might cause problems
Snow Moon—February full moon meaning and why you'd better keep an eye one troublesome planet's retrograde shadow period this lunar cycle
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Mercury Retrograde shadow period 2022 will happen EIGHT times so here's what to look out for
Mercury retrograde shadow period 2022—the period before and after this year's FOUR Mercury retrogrades and what to look out for
By Rylee Johnston • Published
Carrie and...who?! And Just Like That fans shocked by potential new romance
And Just Like That fans are shocked as they pick up between a potential new romance that may be blossoming between Carrie and...
By Laura Harman • Published