Our healthy meatballs with Asian noodle broth is a fresh and flavourful dish that is low in fat but so comforting. Using turkey mince to make these healthy meatballs reduces the fat content whilst still providing plenty of protein. The fragrant, Asian inspired broth is warming and comforting, without being heavy, and the chilli adds a nice spicy kick. We’ve served egg noodles with our healthy meatballs, but you could use rice noodles or udon noodles if you prefer. This Asian inspired supper is ready in under 45 minutes but gives such impressive results.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY MEATBALLS WITH ASIAN NOODLE BROTH
For the meatballs:
- 500g turkey mince
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 6cm piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
For the broth:
- 1 litre strong chicken stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer layer removed and finely chopped
- 4 lime leaves
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- a little oil, for frying
- 200g medium egg noodles
- 100g asparagus
- 100g mangetout
- For the meatballs, mix the mince, spring onions, half the coriander, ginger and chilli, and the egg. Season well, then form into 12 golf ball-sized meatballs. Leave them in the fridge while you prepare the broth.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan. Add the remaining ginger and chilli, as well as the lemongrass, lime leaves and soy. Turn the heat down to a simmer so the flavours can infuse. Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and brown the meatballs all over. Pop them into the broth to cook through, along with the remaining coriander, green veg, and noodles for about 10 mins then serve.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Venus in retrograde 2022—How will it affect your love life, depending on your star sign
Venus in retrograde 2022 presents rare conjunction and the push you need to transform your love and sex life—but time is running out
By Stephanie Campos-Powell • Published
Emma Thompson on filming her first nude scene—'It's very challenging to be nude at 62'
Emma Thompson has opened up about her new movie Good Luck to You, Leo Grande which features the 62-year-old actress' first nude scene
By Laura Harman • Published
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment on wedding day revealed by lip-reader
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment to husband Jack Brooksbank on wedding day revealed as a lip-reader decodes sweet moment between the couple
By Aoife Hanna • Published