If you’re looking for a new lamb recipe to enjoy this flavoursome meat, give these lamb cutlets with broad bean purée a go and you’ll not be disappointed. This dish uses chilli flakes, garlic, oregano and lemon juice to really bring out the flavours of the meat.
HOW TO MAKE LAMB CUTLETS WITH BROAD BEAN PURÉE AND POTATOES
- zest and juice 2 lemons
- 3tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3½tbsp olive oil
- ¾tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 8 lamb cutlets, trimmed
- 400g (14oz) baby potatoes, halved if large
for the broad bean purée
- 500g (1lb 2oz) broad beans, shelled
- 1tbsp tahini paste
- good squeeze lemon juice
- 3tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon zest with the oregano, garlic, 1½tbsp of the oil, chilli and seasoning, add the lamb and mix to coat. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes or overnight. Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 6 or 7 minutes, until tender but holding their shape. Drain well and leave to dry.
- For the purée, in a food processor, blend the broad beans, tahini, lemon juice and oil until fairly smooth. Season and set aside.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat, add the remaining oil then the potatoes and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden, turning occasionally.
- If you're not cooking on the barbecue, heat the grill until hot and cook the cutlets for around 5 minutes on each side. You want them really browned and crispy. They will take a little less time on the barbecue. Squeeze over some lemon juice and a sprinkle of sea salt, to serve, alongside the purée.
Top Tip for making Lamb Cutlets with Broad Bean Purée and Potatoes
The broad bean purée will keep for 3 days, covered in the fridge.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Venus in retrograde 2022—How will it affect your love life, depending on your star sign
Venus in retrograde 2022 presents rare conjunction and the push you need to transform your love and sex life—but time is running out
By Stephanie Campos-Powell • Published
Emma Thompson on filming her first nude scene—'It's very challenging to be nude at 62'
Emma Thompson has opened up about her new movie Good Luck to You, Leo Grande which features the 62-year-old actress' first nude scene
By Laura Harman • Published
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment on wedding day revealed by lip-reader
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment to husband Jack Brooksbank on wedding day revealed as a lip-reader decodes sweet moment between the couple
By Aoife Hanna • Published