For a dinner party recipe that will please any chocolate lovers you’ve got coming over, why not try this delicious hazelnut mousse cake? It’s simple, quick to make and tastes delightful – you’ll want to make it again and again.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE AND HAZELNUT MOUSSE CAKE
- 200g (7oz) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 450g (1lb) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) hazelnuts, plus extra to decorate
- 50g (2oz) gluten-free plain flour (or just plain flour), sifted
- 10 large free-range eggs, separated
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- mixed berries, to decorate
you will need
- 20cm (8in) cake tin, greased and the bases and sides greased and lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 170C, 150C fan, 325F, gas 3. In a heavy-based saucepan melt the butter and chocolate over a medium low heat, set aside to cool.
- Grind the hazelnuts until very fine using a food processor, mix with the flour and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and creamy. Gently mix in the cooled chocolate mixture using a hand whisk. In a separate bowl using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Using a hand whisk fold in around a third to the chocolate mixture to loosen then carefully fold in the rest. When almost combined fold in the flour and hazelnuts. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 35-50 minutes. The cake will have fondant centre after 35-40 minutes or will be quite firm and mousse-like after 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cover with a clean tea towel, allow to cool. Decorate with seasonal berries or chocolates and chopped hazelnuts to serve.
Katie McLelland is a food stylist, chef, recipe developer, home economist, eater- and everything in-between. She specialises in creating recipes for social media channels to editorial and advertising content as well as the occasional bread, cake, pudding and menus in real life.
Katie is also a home economist for film and TV. Current projects including Cooking with the Stars (South Shore), Matilda (Poppet Productions), Landscapers (Sister), This Sceptered Isle (Revolution Films) and The Great season 2 (Yekaterina Uk ltd).
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
The bittersweet reason Prince William once dreamed of being a policeman
A royal insider has reported that despite his royal destiny to become King, Prince William once dreamed of being a policeman
By Laura Harman • Published
Queen will not address the nation when she reaches this historic landmark next month
The Queen will not speak to the public when she passes her Platinum Jubilee on 6 February, according to a royal expert
By Emma Dooney • Published
This TikTok hack promises to help you fall asleep in TWO minutes
Another TikTok trend has gone viral and we can see why!
By Lucy Gornall • Published