Our cheese and pickle sausage roll is a guaranteed crowd pleaser at any party. Who doesn’t love a sausage roll? We’ve taken all the best bits and merged them into one sharing pastry. You’ll never look back. Make sure to buy really great sausage meat – that’s the highlight of this sausage roll. With the range of sausage meat out there in both supermarkets and butchers you’re bound to find lots of exciting fillings, it’s worth giving them all a try. This cheese and pickle sausage covers all the bases – it’s a perfect party snack sliced up and served on a platter, or transformed into lunch and light supper with a radish-based salad. For more easy entertaining recipes, have a look at our buffet and party food recipe collections.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESE AND PICKLE SAUSAGE ROLL
- Roll out the pastry to make a 30x22cm rectangle. Keep the trimmings for decoration. Put into the fridge while you make the filling.
- Pat out half the sausage meat to 30cm on a piece of baking parchment. This will make it easier to roll up.
- Spoon the pickle over the centre of the sausage meat then put a line of the cheese through the centre. Pat over the rest of the sausage meat.
- Use the parchment to roll it into a long sausage, keeping the cheese and pickle in the centre as much as possible.
- Brush the pastry edges with egg, then put the sausage in the centre and join the pastry together around it. Flip it over onto an oiled baking tray. Brush all over with the glaze then decorate and glaze again. Chill until ready to bake it.
- Heat the oven to 220C. Bake for 35 mins. Serve hot, at room temperature or cold.
- 375g all-butter puff pastry
- 600g pork sausage meat
- 3tbsp Branston Small Chunk Pickle
- 60g mature Cheddar, cut into long 1cm batons
- 1 beaten egg, to glaze
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
This TikTok hack promises to help you fall asleep in TWO minutes
Another TikTok trend has gone viral and we can see why!
By Lucy Gornall • Published
Prince Andrew was mistaken for an intruder at Buckingham Palace during evening stroll
Prince Andrew's garden walk was interrupted by two suspicious police officers
By Emma Dooney • Published
Venus in retrograde 2022—How will it affect your love life, depending on your star sign
Venus in retrograde 2022 presents rare conjunction and the push you need to transform your love and sex life—but time is running out
By Stephanie Campos-Powell • Published