By Jane Curran
This fish dish is super easy to make and is very low in carbohydrate. The tuna is packed full of protein, and its flavour is beautifully complemented by the fresh cucumber, spring onion and sesame seeds with a sharp punch of grapefruit. If you don't have grapefruit or fancy something a little bit different then this tuna tartare recipe is delicious served up with tange lime instead too.
Tuna tartare is a perfect lunch or light supper, and can be made in advance and chilled if you're expecting guests. All you need to do is chop fish and mix the ingredients separately. Combine at the last minute before pressing them into a mould. If you do this any sooner the acid in the marinade will start to cook the fish and it will begin to break down. For a little bit of additional texture you can serve this tasty tuna tartare up with some thin sourdough crackers or similar.
HOW TO MAKE TUNA TARTARE
This dish also works really well with salmon. It's very filling as it is pure protein, but if you need some carbs to serve with it, just add pitta or tortilla chips.
- Finely chop the tuna, discarding any sinews. Mix with the sesame oil and chill until you are ready to serve. Don't add the yuzu juice or it will "cook" the fish.
- Mix everything together at the last minute and pack into 4 ring moulds (or dariole moulds) and turn out. Top with chervil.
- Serve with the grapefruit on the side.
- 2 super-fresh tuna steaks, around 180g each
- 3tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 8 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and finely diced
- 3tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- 4tbsp yuzu juice (or 3tbsp soy sauce mixed with 1tbsb lemon juice)
- 3tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- sprigs of chervil or sliced chives, to serve
- 2 pink grapefruit, segmented, to serve
Prince Andrew will not be attending Queen's birthday parade for Trooping the Colour in June
It's been confirmed that Prince Andrew will be absent from festivities - and here's who will be in his place during the parade
By Lauren Hughes •
This naked retreat has been named as one of 2021's best travel experiences
Nudist holidays are on the up! And this Italian retreat is predicted to be a big hit in 2021...
By Lauren Hughes •
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare look inside her home
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare view with fans
By Selina Maycock •