Nutrition per portion
- 85g (31/2oz) lemon-flavoured jelly
- 210g (71/2oz) coconut macaroons
- 100ml (4fl oz) dark rum
- 1 x 18cm (7in) plain Madeira cake, very thinly sliced
- 2 large mangoes, peeled and chopped
- pulp and juice of 4 passion fruit
- 300ml (1/2pt) double cream
- For the custard:
- 600ml (1pt) double cream
- 6 free-range egg yolks
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- 3tbsp cornflour
- physalis and toasted desiccated coconut, to decorate
Dissolve the lemon jelly in 450ml (15fl oz) boiling water. Refrigerate until set.
To make the custard, heat the cream over a low heat, stirring constantly. Mix the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour together. Pour over the cream, return to the pan and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Strain and cool. Refrigerate until cold.
Put the macaroons in the trifle dish and sprinkle with half the rum. Pour over half the custard. Trim the sponge to fit the bowl then pierce with a skewer and sprinkle with the remaining rum. Mix the fruit and place on top of the sponge, reserving 3 tablespoons. Chop the jelly and spread over the fruit. Top with the remaining custard.
Lightly whip the cream and spoon on top. Decorate with the remaining mangoes, passion fruit, physalis and coconut.