This Thai soup recipe is a great basic recipe for you to use in your own soup variations. We’ve gone with king prawns as seafood is something Thai cuisine excels at – the delicate prawns taste great together with the spicy broth.
Looking for more cooking inspiration? Have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE TOM YUM SOUP
- Shell the prawns reserving the meat then in a large pan or wok heat the sesame oil and fry the empty prawn shells on a high heat until pink. Add 1.2 litres (2pints) of boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes before removing the shells from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the lemongrass, galangal and lime leaves to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes then add the chillies, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar for a further minute. Taste, adding more lime, sugar, fish sauce or sugar if necessary.
- Add the raw prawns to the pan along with the mange tout and bean sprouts and cook for a final 2 minutes until the prawns are pink and the vegetables are soft. Serve the soup in large bowls and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- 20 raw shell-on king prawns
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 2 sticks lemongrass, chopped
- 4 thick slices galangal, peeled and chopped (or 1tbsp galangal paste, we used Barts)
- 5 lime leaves, torn
- 3 red chillies, chopped
- 4tbsp nam pal (Thai fish sauce)
- 3tbsp lime juice
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 1tbsp sweet Thai dipping sauce
- 200g sugar snaps, sliced on the diagonal
- 200g bean sprouts
- Bunch spring onions
- small bunch coriander leaves to garnish
Top Tip for making Tom Yum Soup
For a meatier, more savoury version replace the prawns with shredded, cooked chicken and the water with chicken stock
Woman&Home's Vanity Edit: New makeup, skincare, and beauty products we love this week
We underscore the latest and greatest beauty heroes on the market, from whimsical collections to astrology-inspired eyeshadow. Here's what's currently in trend.
By Dominique McIntee •
International Women’s Day: shop with a cause with these brands’ charitable initiatives
To honor this global holiday, we've created a curation that reframes shopping as an effective vehicle for systemic change
By Dominique McIntee •
The EXACT Mood lighting you need to maximize your chances of getting laid
How you can easily increase your likelihood of having sex, according to a study...
By Selina Maycock •