For a salmon recipe (opens in new tab) with a twist, try this Thai salmon broth recipe that's full of seafood flavours and spices. The delicate shiitake mushrooms have a very particular, earthy and smoky flavour which makes them a great pairing for salmon. Thai fish sauce and coconut milk with red curry paste are the classics of Asian cuisine, and combined with the vegetables they really make this tasty broth stand out. When you’re ready to serve the broth, top it with fresh coriander, spring onions, chilli and peanuts. Serve it with lime wedges for added zest. Make the soup a little more filling with egg noodles for a light lunch or dinner.
Looking for more cooking inspiration? Have a look at our other delicious soup recipes (opens in new tab).
HOW TO MAKE THAI SALMON BROTH
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Cook the curry paste, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and peppers, and cook for a few more minutes. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, coconut milk and stock, bring to a simmer and add the salmon.
- Place a lid on the pan, and simmer very gently for about 10 minutes, until the fish is just cooked. Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the pack instructions, drain and divide between 4 bowls.
- Remove the salmon from the soup and flake. Check the soup for seasoning, divide between the bowls and top with the fish, coriander, spring onions, chilli and peanuts. Serve with the lime wedges.
- 1tbsp oil
- 4tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 250g (9oz) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 1tsp Thai fish sauce
- juice 1 lime
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 400ml (14fl oz) fish stock
- 4 salmon fillets
- 200g (7oz) egg noodles
- fresh coriander, sliced spring onions, chopped red chilli, toasted peanuts and lime wedges, to serve
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
These petite cakes are made even prettier with bottlegreen raspberry cordial icing and a sprinkle of dried rose petals
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo
The subtle flavours in this frozen Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo loaf are perfect for a summer dinner al fresco
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy • Published
Should you apply coconut oil on the face? The experts reveal all
Dermatologists weigh in on the age-old debate about using coconut oil on the face—the answer might surprise you
By Emma Stoddart • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William spotted at local pub for cozy lunch date after work
Kate Middleton and Prince William spotted at a local pub in Windsor as the royal couple go on a romantic lunch date after work
By Laura Harman • Published
That viral Dior lip oil worn by Jennifer Aniston is already on sale for Black Friday!
Been after that viral Dior lip oil? It's on sale for Black Friday now
By Caitlin Elliott • Published