By Jules Mercer
Our steak sandwich is a real crowd pleaser and proves that lunch can be as exciting and fulfilling as dinner… To make the steak sandwich a heartier main meal try serving it with a bowl of thick cut chips or crisps, or a simple salad for a lighter result. Aside from the steak in this steak sandwich, we think the real star is our steak sauce. Dare we say it’s one of our best ever? Cook this up for your friends and family and let us know your thoughts…
- 4 x 120g steaks
- 8 slices bread
For the sauce:
- 4 shallots, peeled and cut in half
- 2 handfuls curly kale pieces
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 150g crème fraiche
- 1tsp liquid beef stock
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
For the crunch:
- ¼ red cabbage, very finely sliced
- rocket leaves
- English mustard, to serve, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Place the shallots on one half of a roasting tray, the kale on another half. Drizzle over the olive oil and bake for 12-14mins. Remove the kale, and return the shallots until they are soft and caramelized – about 20mins. Remove and allow to cool.
- Heat a griddle pan and fry the steaks on a medium heat for 2-3mins a side.
- Remove and allow the steak to rest whilst you make the sauce. Roughly chop the cooked shallots and mix into the crème fraiche with the beef stock and mustard. Slice the steaks.
- To layer the sandwiches: top a piece of bread the sauce, sliced cabbage, rocket, sliced steak and mustard if required.
Top Tip for making Steak sandwich with super greens
Bavette steak is a great option for the more adventurous. Although it can be a little tougher than the well known sirloin, it’s full of flavour. To make it a little easier to munch, slice thinly to serve.
Prince Harry reunited with his father and brother for two hours after Prince Philip’s funeral
The family reportedly talked away from the cameras at Windsor Castle
By Emma Shacklock •
Sharon Osbourne reveals she slapped Piers Morgan during a heated row
Sharon Osbourne has admitted she once hit Piers Morgan at a Chinese restaurant
By Emma Dooney •
Audrey Hepburn was a 'Battle-hardened badass', according to her son Luca Dotti
Secrets about the iconic actress have been revealed by her family in new biography Warrior: Audrey Hepburn
By Selina Maycock •