Reacquaint yourself with a good butcher and buy thick large sirloins. Two steaks will serve four, so this is a cost-effective way to get your red meat fix. We love this Middle Eastern twist on a classic supper. The rich nutty, spice mix finishes off this steak salad perfectly.
- 2 large thick-cut sirloins
- a little olive oil
- for the dukkah
- 85g sesame seeds
- 50g coriander seeds
- 25g cumin seeds
- 100g skinned hazelnuts
For the salsa
- spring onions, finely chopped
- ripe large tomatoes, deseeded
- and finely chopped
- handful coriander, finely chopped
- 4tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped
- large green chilli, seeded and minced
- garlic clove, crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- First, make the dukkah (an Egyptian nutty spice mix). Toast the sesame seeds then put into a pestle and mortar. Now toast the coriander and cumin seeds and add to the sesame. Toast the hazelnuts and finely chop. Grind the spices together then stir in the nuts and some salt and pepper. You can store this in an airtight jar for 4 weeks.
- For the salsa, simply mix everything together. You can make this 3 hrs ahead. Any longer and it will become watery. Season just before serving.
- To cook the steaks, rub all over with oil. Season with salt. Don’t add pepper until cooked otherwise the pepper will just burn and become bitter. Get your barbecue or griddle really hot, then sear the steak on both sides. Then move it to a cooler part of the grill and cook for 3 mins each side for medium rare. Allow it to rest for 5 mins. Thickly slice then sprinkle with the dukkah and serve with the salsa. Some crusty bread on the side would be perfect.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
These petite cakes are made even prettier with bottlegreen raspberry cordial icing and a sprinkle of dried rose petals
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo
The subtle flavours in this frozen Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo loaf are perfect for a summer dinner al fresco
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy • Published
King Charles' boozy pre-dinner ritual that 'just makes sense'
King Charles reportedly drinks the same cocktail before dinner every night - but he must enjoy it from the same exact glass
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William spotted at local pub for cozy lunch date after work
Kate Middleton and Prince William spotted at a local pub in Windsor as the royal couple go on a romantic lunch date after work
By Laura Harman • Published
Katherine Jenkins reveals Queen's 'maternal' gesture at Buckingham Palace lunch – 'I was really grateful'
Katherine Jenkins has shared the sweet way Queen Elizabeth II helped her to avoid a disastrous moment during a Buckingham Palace lunch
By Emma Dooney • Published