If you’re looking for a courgette recipe that’s a little different, why not give this quirky dinner idea by Masterchef winner Shelina Permalloo a go?
Using fresh white crab meat, chilli and herbs to stuff courgette flowers before frying them in a pan, this Mauritian inspired recipe would make a really tasty week night meal that’s also incredibly healthy.
It doesn’t take long to cook this easy recipe – the whole thing will be ready in just 20 minutes - and it makes up to 10 crab courgette flowers, so there is plenty to share.
- Mix together the crabmeat, chilli, white wine vinegar, parsley and seasoning and carefully fill the courgette flowers with the mixture. Twist the top of each flower to make sure that no filling comes out when cooking.Be careful not to overfill them – even though it is incredibly tempting!
- Once you have stuffed all the flowers, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the courgettes. Cook on all sides for around 6–7 minutes, you will know when they are cooked as the flowers take on a dark orange colour and will be lightly browned on all sides. Don’t overcook these as you want the courgette still to have some bite to it. Serve immediately.
- 100g fresh white crab meat
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 10 baby courgettes with flowers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Masterchef winner Shelina Permalloo grew up on the tiny island of Mauritius, which is renowned for the vibrant, colourful, delicately spiced cuisine that helped her triumph on the popular TV show. Shelina Permalloo's first cookbook, Sunshine on a Plate, celebrates her roots and seeks to inspire readers to give Mauritian cooking a go at home. Buy Sunshine on a Plate (opens in new tab) by Shelina Permalloo (£21; Ebury Press).
Bean Salad with Courgette
One of the best things about summer is the abundance of vegetables. This bean salad with courgette uses up the best the season has to offer and has a mild kick, depending on how much mustard you use.
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Pan fried sea bass fillet with herbed courgettes
By Elisa Roche • Published
Avocado, Pea and Courgette Salad
By Jane Curran • Published
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
The colossal cost of Prince William and Kate Middleton's 'disastrous' Caribbean tour revealed
The cost of William and Kate's Caribbean tour has been revealed and fans are shocked by the massive figure...
By Laura Harman • Last updated
Where to buy Kate Middleton's espadrilles - the summer sandals loved by the Princess of Wales
Kate Middleton's beige espadrille sandals have been her favorite go-to look for years - here's where you can buy the classic shoes
By Laura Harman • Published
Prince William addresses Caribbean tour controversy on Windrush Day: 'Our trip was an opportunity to reflect'
The Duke of Cambridge specifically mentioned the 'tens of thousands' of people that 'were profoundly wronged by the Windrush Scandal'
By Anna Rahmanan • Last updated