If you’re looking for a courgette recipe (opens in new tab) that’s a little different, why not give this quirky dinner idea by Masterchef winner Shelina Permalloo a go?
Using fresh white crab meat, chilli and herbs to stuff courgette flowers before frying them in a pan, this Mauritian inspired recipe would make a really tasty week night meal that’s also incredibly healthy.
It doesn’t take long to cook this easy recipe – the whole thing will be ready in just 20 minutes - and it makes up to 10 crab courgette flowers, so there is plenty to share.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY CRAB COURGETTE FLOWERS
Buy Sunshine on a Plate (opens in new tab) by Shelina Permalloo (£20; Ebury Press)
- Mix together the crabmeat, chilli, white wine vinegar, parsley and seasoning and carefully fill the courgette flowers with the mixture. Twist the top of each flower to make sure that no filling comes out when cooking.Be careful not to overfill them – even though it is incredibly tempting!
- Once you have stuffed all the flowers, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the courgettes. Cook on all sides for around 6–7 minutes, you will know when they are cooked as the flowers take on a dark orange colour and will be lightly browned on all sides. Don’t overcook these as you want the courgette still to have some bite to it. Serve immediately.
- 100g fresh white crab meat
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 10 baby courgettes with flowers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bean Salad with Courgette
One of the best things about summer is the abundance of vegetables. This bean salad with courgette uses up the best the season has to offer and has a mild kick, depending on how much mustard you use.
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Pan fried sea bass fillet with herbed courgettes
By Elisa Roche • Published
Avocado, Pea and Courgette Salad
By Jane Curran • Published
These petite cakes are made even prettier with bottlegreen raspberry cordial icing and a sprinkle of dried rose petals
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo
The subtle flavours in this frozen Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo loaf are perfect for a summer dinner al fresco
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy • Published
Prince William addresses Caribbean tour controversy on Windrush Day: 'Our trip was an opportunity to reflect'
The Duke of Cambridge specifically mentioned the 'tens of thousands' of people that 'were profoundly wronged by the Windrush Scandal'
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Prince William echoes Harry and Meghan's withdrawal statement after questionable Caribbean royal tour
Prince William sounded strikingly similar to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in his recent comments on the future of the British Commonwealth
By Emma Dooney • Published
Here’s how Kate Middleton juggled motherhood duties during Caribbean royal tour
Kate Middleton Whatsapp activity was spiking at 4am during the royal tour for this reason...
By Georgia Farquharson • Published