By Jane Curran
This spicy chicken with crispy red onions is so easy to prepare, especially if you make the marinade the night before and let it infuse the chicken the night before. This is the perfect mid week meal as it requires minimal effort but gives great results - just what you need at the end of a busy day. We've marinated the chicken thighs in a mixture of natural yoghurt and Indian spices which infuses the meat with extra flavour as well as making it really tender. The onions add a crunch and natural sweetness that elevates this meal to something really special.
Garam masala is a spice blend, readily available in supermarkets, made from a mixture of cumin, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, mace, cardamom and bay leaf. This ingredient is so versatile and is a great thing to have in your store cupboard. It can be used in a variety of Indian recipes, such as our Lamb Rogan Josh with Yello Dhal, and works wonderfully in a dressing to give your salad extra depth of flavour.
Spice up this week's chicken dinner with our recipe for spicy chicken with crispy red onions.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY CHICKEN WITH CRISPY RED ONIONS
- Put the seeds and chilli into a hot, dry frying pan for a few mins, then crush in a mortar and pestle.
- Mix together the yogurt and garam masala, then add the seed mix. Rub it into the chicken. You can now leave it in the fridge, covered, to marinate for a few hours or overnight. Shallow fry the onions in batches until crispy. You can reheat them in the oven later if you need to or do this while the chicken is in the oven.
- Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Line a shallow roasting tin with oiled foil. Arrange the chicken and any marinade in a single layer. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 40 mins or until cooked through and crispy.
- Serve with the onions. We also like it with pilau rice, a yogurt dip with spring onions and mint, and a tomato salad with red onions and a little chilli.
- 1tbsp coriander seeds
- 1tbsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 75g natural yogurt
- 1tbsp garam masala
- 8-12 chicken thighs (depending on size), bone in and skin on
- 4 red onions, thinly sliced
- oil, for shallow frying
The Queen’s sweet message to Prince Harry revealed
The Queen is said to be “delighted” that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have found happiness in their new life in America
By Georgia Farquharson •
Research reveals that 14.5 per cent of women feel menopause is affecting their sex lives
New research has revealed that 14.5 per cent of women feel that menopause is affecting their sex lives
By Aleesha Badkar •
This cult US skincare brand is coming to Boots very soon - and we can't wait
Treat yourself to some of their gorgeous products...
By Amy Hunt •