By Grace Walsh
Banana bread is a quick and simple recipe to make, perfect for a snack or afternoon tea.
If you're looking for a indulgent bite to go with your afternoon cup of tea, then try out this spiced banana bread recipe.
With rum, sultanas and cinnamon on the ingredients list, this recipe offers an interesting twist on the great British classic without loads of extra time and effort required. We're using the ripest of bananas in this recipe as well, to make sure that it gets that essential sweet finish in the cake that makes banana bread so unique.
For delicious banana bread that comes out perfectly every time, try this sumptuous spiced banana bread recipe.
- 100g (4oz) sultanas
- 50ml (2fl oz) rum
- 185g (6½oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 125g (4½oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) light soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 small very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 175ml (6fl oz) double cream
- 40g (1½oz) unsalted butter
- 200g (7oz) Green Blacks maya chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ tsp edible gold glitter to dust
- In a small pan pour the rum over the sultanas and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to soak.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/325F/Gas 3. Place flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and cinnamon in large bowl and combine well.
- In a separate bowl mix the butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one by one beating well after each addition. Then stir through the mashed bananas, sultanas & rum and the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and pour into a 900g (2lb) loaf tin. Bake for 1-1¼ hours until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan to just boiling then take off the heat. Add the finely chopped chocolate and leave for 5 minutes to melt before gently stirring into the cream. Leave to cool and thicken slightly before pouring over the cooled cake and sprinkling with edible gold glitter.
Top Tip for making Spiced banana bread
If you are making this for kids top with milk chocolate and scatter with dried banana rounds
Vegan protein: alternatives to meat for a balanced plant-based diet
These tasty meat-free alternatives will keep you feeling full.
By Lauren Hughes •
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom •
Cheese and bacon hush puppies
Once you’ve tried one, you’ll be back for more!
By Jessica Ransom •
How to copy Jenna Coleman's 70s style in The Serpent
From the kohl liner to the fringe, there's little about Jenna Coleman's 70s style that we wouldn't want to recreate.
By Fiona Embleton •
Pentagon turns down Trump's request for military-style farewell parade
There will be no military-style parade for Donald Trump as he vacates office on Wednesday 20 January
By Kudzai Chibaduki •
Jennifer Aniston once shared the exact lipstick she wore on "Friends"
Now THIS is a throwback!
By Lucy Abbersteen •