This elegant terrine makes a wonderful smoked salmon starter or buffet salmon recipe for when you're entertaining friends and family. It's much easier than you might think to make but looks so impressive, and because it's completely preparable in advance it's perfect for when you've got a million other things to think about.
You can whip this up from four days ahead of when you need it and store it in the fridge. Serve it up with hot buttered toast and a little sliced cucumber or a few salad leaves for a delicious starter.
HOW TO MAKE A SMOKED SALMON TERRINE
- 500g (1lb 2oz) smoked salmon
- 300g (10oz) flaked hot smoked salmon
- 300g tub Philadelphia cream cheese
- 2tbsp horseradish sauce
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- small handful dill, leaves picked
- 1½tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
- 125ml (4½oz) whipping cream
You will need:
- 28cm (11in) terrine dish or 900g (2lb) loaf tin, double lined with clingfilm
- In a food processor, blend 150g (5oz) of the smoked salmon and 150g (5oz) of the hot smoked salmon with the Philadelphia, horseradish, lemon zest, dill and peppercorns to make a smooth paste. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice, and transfer to a mixing bowl. In another bowl, lightly whip the cream to soft peaks. Fold through the mixture and set aside.
- Line the terrine with the remaining smoked salmon slices, allowing an overlap to fold over and almost cover the top.
- Spoon half the salmon mixture into the terrine and spread to the edges. Place the remaining hot smoked salmon down the centre of the terrine in a neat line. Spoon the rest of the salmon mixture into the terrine, being careful not to disturb the hot smoked salmon. Smooth, then fold over the smoked salmon to cover the top. It doesn’t matter if they don’t meet. Wrap in the overhanging clingfilm and leave in the fridge overnight, weighed down with a board and some cans.
- Turn out, remove the clingfilm and slice. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Fuss-free Princess Anne 'commands the respect' needed to honor Prince Philip after his death
The Princess Royal is expected to take on what Prince Philip left behind...
By Caitlin Elliott •
MASKC's colorful KN95 face masks are a hit with A-listers—and they're on sale!
Celebrities are loving this KN95 mask that comes in a range of chic colours and patterns
By Laura Harman •
Kate Garraway shares husband Derek's sweet birthday message in Covid-19 recovery update
Kate Garraway has updated fans on her husband Derek's recovery from Long Covid as she celebrates her 54th birthday
By Emma Dooney •