HOW TO MAKE SLOW-ROASTED LAMB SALAD WITH FREEKEH AND POMEGRANATE
- Preheat the oven to 160C (315F/gas mark 2-3). Crush the cumin seeds and cinnamon in a mortar and pestle. Drizzle the lamb with the oil and rub with the crushed spices, then season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Brown the lamb in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, turning to brown both sides.
- Place the lamb shoulder in a large roasting pan and brush with about three-quarters of the combined pomegranate molasses and honey. Place a large piece of non-stick baking paper over the lamb, tucking the edges under, then cover the entire pan with a layer of foil. Roast the lamb for 2½-3 hours, or until the meat is extremely tender and can be shredded with a fork. Brush the remaining pomegranate mixture over the lamb, then set aside and cool slightly. Coarsely shred the meat.
- Meanwhile, cook the freekeh in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 15-20 minutes or until al dente. Rinse under cold running water, then drain well, squeezing out as much excess water as possible. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Blanch the broccolini in a large saucepan of boiling water until bright green and tender-crisp. Refresh under cold running water, then drain well. Add the broccolini, onion and three-quarters of the pomegranate seeds to the freekeh and stir to combine.
- Whisk together the extra olive oil and pomegranate molasses and 1tbsp of the reserved pomegranate juice. Add to the salad and toss to combine, then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, pile the salad on to a large serving platter, top with the shredded lamb and sprinkle with the remaining pomegranate seeds.
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.25kg boneless lamb shoulder
- 1tbsp olive oil, plus 1½tbsp extra
- 60ml (2floz or ¼ cup) pomegranate molasses plus 1tbsp extra
- 1tbsp honey
- 175g cracked freekeh
- 2 bunches broccolini, trimmed and cut into long florets
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed and juice reserved
The Queen sends sweet message to Prince Philip as he remains in hospital following infection
Her Majesty paid tribute to her husband...
By Georgia Farquharson •
Dress brand Finery London launches with Marks & Spencer - and their collection is perfect for spring
Dress brand Finery London has launched with Marks & Spencer so that you can shop their flattering line with ease
By Aleesha Badkar •
Claudia Winkleman reveals surprising secret to her happy marriage
The Strictly Come Dancing star has been married for twenty years...
By Georgia Farquharson •