Roast pork makes a delicious Sunday lunch treat or Christmas recipe (opens in new tab) for the whole family. This method uses a sweet and savoury apricot and mushroom stuffing to flavour the pork and is finished off with the perfectly crisp crackling for texture.
HOW TO MAKE ROAST PORK WITH APRICOT AND MUSHROOM STUFFING
- Heat the butter in a sauté pan then add the mushrooms, onion and garlic. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes. Put into a sieve to drain off any excess liquid. Mix with the apricots and sage. Lay the pork on a board, skin side down. Cut a ‘pocket’ into the loin then spread over the purée and roll up the pork. With a second pair of hands to help, tie the pork securely at 3cm intervals with butcher’s string. Place on a plate then leave uncovered in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the pork from the fridge and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 240C, gas 9. Rub 2tsp sea salt over the skin. Roast in the top of the oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180C, gas 4 and roast for an hour or until the internal temperature has reached 70C – you can check this with a meat thermometer.
- Remove and leave to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Remove the string and you can either slice through the crackling or remove it then slice the meat.
- 20g unsalted butter
- 125g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 60g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1tbsp sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1.5kg piece of pork loin, boned and skin scored
Top Tip for making Roast Pork with Apricot and Mushroom Stuffing
The trick to perfect crackling is a great piece of British free-range pork to start with. Then leave it uncovered in the fridge for a few hours to dry out the skin. Serve with an apple sauce spiced with star anise and cloves. Any leftovers are delicious cold.
Pork and Herb Stuffing Balls
By Woman and Home • Published
Mascarpone stuffed chicken
By Elisa Roche • Published
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
These petite cakes are made even prettier with bottlegreen raspberry cordial icing and a sprinkle of dried rose petals
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo
The subtle flavours in this frozen Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo loaf are perfect for a summer dinner al fresco
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy • Published
What to write in a Father's Day card: meaningful and creative messages
Wondering what to write in a Father's Day card? Let us help you think of some thoughtful messages to celebrate the big day
By Lauren Hughes • Published
Best Christmas movies on Hulu 2022 to watch now
It's time to get in the holiday spirit with the best Christmas movies on Hulu including family classics, rom coms, and brand new movies too!
By Rylee Johnston • Published
Why the Queen forbids George and Charlotte from sitting with their parents at Christmas lunch
The Queen makes Prince William and Kate Middleton's children sit in a separate room for the festive meal, according to insiders
By Emma Dooney • Published