This rice salad is a fresh, healthy dish that is best made ahead of time to allow the flavours to fully develop and harmonise. Camargue red rice is a variety from France, available at most health and specialist food shops, but if you are unable to find any then brown rice works a treat too. Combining citrus flavours with warming mustard and a good hit of honey makes the perfect balance in the dressing of this simple rice salad. If you’re having fewer people for your party you could serve this ‘bowl food’ style in larger portion, for more hearty fare.
For the salad
- 150g Camargue red rice, washed
- 150g wild rice, washed
- 25g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 oranges, peeled, pith removed, segmented
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 45g dried apricots, diced
- 150g salad leaves
For the dressing
- 3tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3tsbp olive oil
- 1tsp orange juice
- 1 ½tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- ½tsp honey
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add both types of rice, cover and simmer until tender, around 30-40 mins.
- Dry toast pistachios in a frying pan until fragrant, taking care not to burn them. Spread out to cool.
- Reserve 16 segmented wedges of orange to garnish the finished pots, then chop the remainder into small chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide, shallow frying pan. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, then cover and cook over a medium heat until slightly soft and golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 mins. Allow to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients and season well.
- Combine the cooled rice, pistachios, oranges, onions and garlic together with the spring onions, apricots and salad leaves. Pour over the dressing and toss well.
- Evenly distribute the rice between 16 small bowls, jars or shot glasses, adorn with a segment of orange, and serve. Recipe by Gaia Chanrai for Woman and Home.
Top Tip for making Red and Wild Rice Salad Pots with Orange and Pistachios
Make this recipe up to three days in advance of serving.
Meghan Markle has decided not to have a baby shower for this reason
No lavish celebrations this time around
By Danielle Valente •
Alex Rodriguez speaks out for the first time since J.Lo and Ben Affleck reunion
News of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck has spread, and now Alex Rodriguez is finally saying something
By Rylee Johnston •
Celebrity-favorite brand Rag & Bone is having a huge secret sale right now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on Rag & Bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •