By Rose Fooks
Make the most of unique vibrant rhubarb in the rhubarb galette. We add beetroot to make sure our rhubarb stays beautifullypink,and it also amplifies the earthy flavour.
Galettes can be a number of things in French cuisine. It’s usually used for a dish with a pastry, cake or pancake base that is then folded up a little – almost making it look like a roughly made tart. We’ve used the technique here to make a gluten-free delicious rhubarb galette. The rhubarb gives a vibrant pink topping to the flaky, buttery pastry base. Using beetroot to cook the rhubarb in, helps the colour to remain and also boosts the flavour of the topping.
- 280g pack gluten-free puff pastry
- 400g forced rhubarb, cut into 13cm long pieces
- 2tsp beetroot juice concentrate
- 2tbsp ginger syrup
- 30g caster sugar
- Crème fraîche, to serve
For the frangipane:
- 60g toasted flaked almonds, plus extra to serve
- 30g butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp ginger syrup
- 15g caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6 and take the pastry out of the fridge.
- For the frangipane, blitz the almonds in a food processor, add the butter and blitz again. Once smooth add the egg, syrup and sugar; blitz to combine.
- Unroll the pastry onto parchment, and put onto a baking tray. Pour the frangipane over the pastry leaving a 2.5cm (1in) border on each side. Fold the pastry edges over and bake for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, put the rhubarb into a roasting tray with the beetroot juice, ginger syrup and sugar; cover with foil.
- When the pastry has cooked for 10 mins, put the rhubarb tray in oven and cook both for 12 mins more. The rhubarb will have a slight squidge when ready.
- Remove the pastry from the oven. If it has puffed up, pierce with a knife so steam can escape, and press down.
- Place the rhubarb on the pastry, brush with beetroot syrup, scatter almonds if preferred, and serve with crème fraîche.
Top Tip for making Rhubarb galette
If you don’t need this to be gluten free you can use regular puff pastry here.
Sarah Jessica Parker urged to keep new Sex and the City series fur-free
Will the reboot move with the times?
By Lydia Swinscoe •
The Ordinary has just restocked one of its most popular products
The AHA BHA Peeling Solution is almost always out of stock – but right now, you're able to get your hands on it again
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Duchess of Cornwall’s emotional wedding gift to Kate Middleton revealed
The Duchess of Cambridge's jewelry is stunning
By Emma Shacklock •