- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 sausages
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 large or 1 small red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 250ml/9fl oz/1 cup red wine
- 1–2 oregano, thyme or rosemary sprigs (optional)
- 250g/9oz/11/4 cups ready-to-eat Puy lentils
- 200g/7oz/scant 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100g/31/2oz baby or young spinach leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat, add the sausages and fry for 10–15 minutes until they are evenly browned. Remove from the pan and leave to one side.
Add the onion and red pepper to the pan and fry for 5–8 minutes until they are softened and the onion is becoming golden. Return the sausages to the pan. Add the red wine and the herb sprigs, if using. Bring to the boil and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the lentils and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover with a lid and leave to simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Remove the lid, stir in the spinach until it has wilted and heated through, then season lightly with salt and pepper.
Spoon the lentils into two bowls or deep plates, top with the sausages and spoon over any cooking liquid to serve.