By Jane Curran
It’s a surprising combination, which works brilliantly. The Sri Lankans love a cashew curry, and they love their native pineapples, so we’ve combined the two! This is also vegan and very simple to make. Serve this simple pineapple curry up with some fluffy rice for a meal that the whole family will love. The fruity chunks of pineapple add the perfect amount of acidity against the mild coconut sauce. Curry leaves are essential to getting the flavour of this cashew curry just right, so they’re worth hunting down. You can even get fresh curry leaves on places like Amazon now if you can’t find them in the supermarket. When looking for them in a shop, head to the spices aisle, or alternatively try an Indian or Sri Lankan grocery shop, if you have one near to you.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan and cook the onion and lemongrass over a low heat for 15 mins. Add the spices with sea salt and black pepper and cook, stirring, over a medium heat for a few minutes to cook them out.
- Now add the coconut milk and cream with the curry leaves and simmer for 10 mins. Add the pineapple and cashew nuts, bring to the boil then simmer for 15 mins. Serve with rice.
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bashed and finely sliced
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1tbsp black mustard seeds
- 2tsp turmeric
- 2tsp fennel seeds
- 1 x 400g can coconut milk
- 1 x 160g can coconut cream
- small handful fresh or dried curry leaves
- 1 large pineapple, skin removed, cored and cut into medium chunks
- 100g unsalted cashew nuts, soaked in cold water for 30 mins, then drained
Top Tip for making Pineapple Curry with Cashews
You can make the base sauce and leave it in the fridge for up to 3 days before adding the curry leaves, pineapple and nuts. It will also keep overnight in the fridge fully prepared. The amount of chilli is up to you but this shouldn’t be fiery, just with a little hint of heat. If you like, you could also add some spinach right at the end.
Prince William celebrates Leicester's FA Cup victory at covid-19 pilot event
The Duke of Cambridge presented the trophy
By Georgia Farquharson •
Sarah Jessica Parker reveals why this latest milestone from her son has made her 'weepy'
Sarah Jessica Parker shared an emotional post on Instagram
By Amy Hunt •
Dr Jill Biden reveals the most adorable tribute to her beloved dogs—did you spot it?
Fans went crazy for the subtle but sweet sartorial nod to her pet pooches
By Amy Hunt •